• Best presentation
• Best dining experience
• Best chocolate experience
• Best standard hot chocolate
• Most photogenic hot chocolate
The award for best standard hot chocolate was added recently to give the standard hot chocolates an award like the specialty hot chocolates.
The final posting will include three more awards
• Best hot chocolate (The Gold Merkel)
There will then be two special awards
• Kitchen Adventures award for the best home hot chocolate product
• Hall of fame award for best contribution to the art of making hot chocolates
For the award of the best presented hot chocolate the nominations are:
- Chocolate at No. 5 for a hot chocolate with "No. 5" on top of it.
- Viva Espresso for the pink and white marshmallow and a pattern on the hot chocolate froth.
- Cremorne Hotel for a wrapped orange chocolate a good froth and a sprinkle of chocolate.
- Kappy's Café for the hot chocolate in a long stemmed glass, two marshmallows and plenty of froth.
The winner is the Chocolate at No. 5.
For the award of best dining experience involving hot chocolate the nominations are:
- Cocolat, Rundle Street for the "top deck" milk chocolate and white hot chocolate drink and a great "Brandy Apricot" chocolate cake.
- Blond Coffee for the hot chocolate in bowls.
- Square Café provided a good Jaffa (orange flavour) hot chocolate and a view over Hindmarsh Square.
- Highway Restaurant for friendly service, a good meal and a tasty, well presented hot chocolate.
For the award for best chocolate experience the nominations are:
- Bracegirdles, Glenelg for the Belgian melted sipping chocolate.
- Chocolate Bean for the orange hot chocolate from shop specializing in chocolate.
- XO Supper Club for the Churros dipped in Belgian chocolate.
- Providore, Central Market for pure melted chocolate in cup and our winner in the economy class.
The nominations for best standard hot chocolate are:
- Cremorne Hotel for a well presented, nice tasting standard hot chocolate.
- Dragonfly for a good rich dark standard hot chocolate.
- Pat-a-Cake the economy class winner.
- Highway Restaurant for a well presented, tasty hot chocolate in the restaurant.
The photogenic award goes to the best looking photograph on Merkel's Hot Chocolate Dark Desires blog. These photographs are taken with unsophisticated equipment, so only the best hot chocolates will look any good. The nominations are:
Monkey Nut Café
Chocolate at No. 5
Funk Coffee, Frome St
The photos speak for themselves and are displayed below. The winner is Monkey Nut Café.